Chinese 简体版


Filmed in both Chinese and English, the following film helps applicants understand the processes involved in coming to study in the UK, and it gives us renewed respect and understanding for the huge decision Chinese families make when they send their precious children to study in the UK.

“It is important for us to show that we respect the commitment they are making, and that talented Chinese students who are so crucial to our universities and to the UK will be welcomed and treated well when they come to study with us.”

Professor Sir Keith Burnett, Vice Chancellor of the University of Sheffield.

Movie UK visa application from China

This film gives an unprecedented insight into the Visa application process in order to remove barriers and dispel common myths. For the first time ever, cameras go behind the scenes at the UK Visa Application Centre in Beijing where the movie makers capture a unique glimpse of how young people in China go through the visa process to become a student in the UK


I am sure you will have lots of questions about the Visa process and we will try to help. That is what we are here for, but first you need to read as much as possible. For questions like

  • Where and how do I apply?
  • When should I apply?
  • How much does it cost to apply?
  • What biometric data do I have to give?
  • Do I have to go for an interview?
  • Do I need to have a medical check?

All these will be answered below. We have tried to be comprehensive as regards Tier 4 visas so that all the information you need can be found in one place right here. We believe this is the most comprehensive guidance on Tier 4 completion for Chinese students anywhere on the internet.


Here are our five simple steps to get a visa once you have been offered a placement and have accepted the same. This used to be four points but the UK Government web site requires registration and we note that they are slow to send the required email. You have 6 months to apply after receiving the CAS (Cconfirmation of Acceptance for Studies) and you cannot apply earlier than 3 months before the start date of your course.
  1. Go to https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa and register, await confirmation email and accept it to validate the registration when it comes.
  2. Get all the evidence, certificates, translations together. See the 10 points that follows (the only exception is the biometric data, see below)
  3. Determine the type of visa application. If you are under 18 you should not apply for Tier 4 Standard/applicants option. Most of you will be applying for Tier 4 (General) but two other types are applicable in certain circumstances as denoted by the name i.e. Tier 4 (General) (Sponsored) Student; Tier 4 (Scholarship) Student

  4. Complete online application at https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa. Paper application is not acceptable for Chinese students. You will need details of where you are staying, your parents name, place and date of birth; the course begin and end dates; the address of the main site of study; course fees; CAS reference number. Its a good idea not to make the submission online in one sitting. Rather complete the form but do not submit. Print out a copy to a pdf file and email it to us for review. We will check it, advie and confirm when you should submit it electronically. Visa applications are handled by VFS global so book an appointment to present the above with your valid passport at a visa centre. The approved application centres can be seen listed in a section below or otherwise check here in case the list is updated http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/china/english/applicationcentre.html. We have tried to put all the information to hand here in this website. When you attend your biometric data will be taken. That means your fingerprints and photo will be taken. With the possible exception of Hangzhou we stress that you need to make an appointment first.

    The Tier 4 (General) student visa is a points based system. You need 40 points and 30 points is given if you have a CAS and 10 points if you have enough money to cover the course fees and monthly living costs.

  5. Attend the interview. You may be required to sit a short interview when you attend the visa application centre to submit your application and biometric information. The interview will focus on your reasons for coming to the UK and is known as a credibility interview. An entry clearance officer will consider this interview alongside your visa application and supporting documents. You may be called for a further interview if the visa officer needs more information. See below for more details.

Visas typically take 15 days to process but at worst can take 60 days. We will check your documentation carefully and try to ensure that it meets all the requirements. As at 21st June 2017 the visa application basic cost is £335 (3116CNY) with supplements for different service levels.

We will now examine each of these five steps in detail, one by one.


You need to create an account at Visa4UK website, so that you can then review the application for visa questions, answer the questions, submit the completed online application or to book an appointment to attend a visa office.

Follow these steps
  • Goto to https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa first or directly to https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/. You should see a screen like that shown in Fig 1


    There is a banner advising that this is a new beta site under test. Do not worry it works well. In the center page is a block with a click-able area "Apply for a visitor visa in china". Do not click this unless you are just intending to visit the UK to look at various campus or attend University Open Days. If you are applying for a visa because you have been offered a place, then you are applying for a Tier 4 General visa Point based. So click the button "Register an Account".

  • The screen changes to that shown below. The first section is your Personal Details.

    • In the first line you enter your Given name, Forename. (sometimes we even refer to this as your Christian name irrespective of your religion. We know some Chinese have difficulty with this, so let me say your given name is NOT your family name. Its the other name(s) your parents named you at birth. If you have more than one, enter all. However, please check your passport first because everything must match.

    • Enter your Surname or Family Name. then your date of birth which you select from the calendar, Next your Gender from the drop down list. Please do not select 'Unspecified'. This is not asking your sexual preference just whether you are a man or a woman. Your Country of Nationality should be Chinese (unless your passport was issued by the territory of Hong Kong which has its own passport issuing authority) again select from the drop down list.

    • The help language means what language would you like "Help" in when you come to complete the visa application. There is no disadvantage in selecting for example 简体中文 Chinese Simplified

  • Next section is Contact Details


    • Enter your email, and again on the next line to confirm the same. Please use a reliable email. You decide if you want to use your QQ mail or another service
    • Enter the main phone number that you can be directly contacted upon. If you do not have a cellphone/mobile phone maybe this is the time to get one. All the fields so far have a red asterisk to indicate they are mandatory. The next line is for you to enter a Secondary Phone number. I suggest you complete this if possible, perhaps with one of your parents phones numbers, just in case there is difficulty reaching you on the primary number due to poor reception.

  • Last section is Address and Login Password.


    • Now enter your address in your country of residence. Your address in China is expected. Although only the first line is mandatory, it makes no sense not to provide all parts of your address. Think about what would be the best address to use if you are still at school/University. If something is sent to you then you want to be sure to receive it.

    • For the Password choose something that is not obvious but more importantly write it down immediately because if you get locked out you may have to re-register and then you cannot use the same email address for contact purposes again. Enter the password a 2nd time.

    • Agree to the Terms and Conditions. You should of course click "Terms and conditions" and a pop-up appears with the terms. You can also print them. When finished click OK to close the pop-up and click the tick box that proceeds "I agree to the Terms and Conditions.

    • Click the Register button
  • An email should be sent to you from "donotreply@visa4uk.fco.gov.uk" . It will say

    "Your Visa4UK account has now been created. For security reasons, your account is currently locked.
    Please click on following link or copy and paste the link below into your internet browser to unlock your account. "
    You should click the link that follows and your account will be unlocked and active.
    The following messages is seen:-
    "You have successfully registered and verified your registration. You can return at any time to log in and start completing your application for Visa to the UK."


Here is a list of evidence you will need to apply for Tier 4 visa. You cannot apply for a Tier 4 visa until three months before your course starts.
  1. You need to show that the University has accepted your application to study there – A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). A CAS is only valid for six months so apply before it expires. Generally provided between June and August. For undergrads no CAS is issued until you have "UF" (Unconditional Firm) offer status. For postgrads CAS is usually issued within a week of your COP (Confirmation of Place).

    • The University will likely email you to ask you to confirm your personal information.
    • When you have confirmed your details, they will apply to the UK Border Authority for a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) for you. This will confirm that the University are willing to support your application for a student visa application.

    • You will be sent a CAS application email that will direct you to an on-line CAS application system so that you can confirm the information the University has given to the UK Border Authority in support of your visa application. You can use this information when you make your visa application. Above all you need the CAS reference number. The CAS is not a physical certificate but rather and electronic one accessed through the reference number.

    • This will also include information about your previous qualifications.
    It is crucial that ourselves and the University are able to contact you by email during this process.
  2. That you have the required money to fund your living costs and fees whilst in the UK, this money must be in your account for 28 consecutive days. If the funds drop below even for one day it is unacceptable. Bank statements cannot be more than one month old at the date of application. Ask us about the full details of the evidence that the Home Office will accept because there are alternatives to bank statements. If you are using your parents bank account that is acceptable but not if you are using other relatives. The account has to have money for the 1st year only. Generally if you are in inner London you need £11,385 for the first 9 months, for outer London only £9,135 (correct as at 8th April 2016. Figures may change in the future)

  3. An original Birth Certificate, or notorised copy, and Letter of Consent from parents if using your parent's bank statement
  4. An ATAS Certificate - if required. An ATAS is an Academic Technology Approval Scheme. Your CAS will tell you if you need to apply for an ATAS. It is mainly our MPhil/PhD students who are studying certain subjects who will need to apply for an ATAS. See the FCO website for more details.

  5. Original certificates or transcripts for the qualifications or transcript listed on your CAS. Any qualifications listed on the CAS will need to be included in the application. The original certificate of your qualification should include:

    • - Your name
    • - Title of award
    • - Date of award ; and
    • - Name of awarding institution

    Alternatively, a transcript should include

    • - Your name
    • - Name of the academic institution
    • - Course title of the award; and
    • - Confirmation of the award
  6. Translations. If any documents are not in English you must provide a translation to meet Home Office requirements. We can help and check this for you. You will need
    • confirmation from the translator / translation company that it is an accurate translation of the original document
    • the date of the translation
    • the full name and original signature of the translator, or of an authorised official of the translation company
    • the contact details of the translator or translation company; and
  7. Students under the age of 18 will need additional documents
  8. Two passport sized colour photos with your name written on the reverse side and which must meet the Home Offices specifications. See Home Office photoguidance
  9. You will also need to be tested for Tuberculosis. You need to make an appointment and attend an approved medical centre (see list below) and bring with you your passport, two passport sized photos, a fee of 550 RMB (2017), your residential address in China and the address in the UK (e.g. University address). The certificate is normally issued on the day and is valid for UK visa application and entry for 6 months.
  10. A valid passport. That means a passport valid for the duration of your stay in the UK. It is a good idea to ensure the passport is valid for at least 6 months after the intended course

Assuming you are granted Tier 4 Student visa you can come up to one month before your course starts.

In addition you will need your biometric data taken, that means your fingerprints and photo taken at an approved visa application centre. Visa applications are handled by VFS global. So when you have all the above information you can book an appointment and present your documentation to one of the offices in China. With the possible exception of Hangzhou we stress that you need to make an appointment first.


Determine the type of visa application you will apply for. Be clear about this before you attempt to apply online. Once selected you cannot change without deletion of the application and starting again.

Most of you will be applying for Tier 4 Student using the Point Based System, this is known as "PBS Tier 4 Student". Within this visa type there are sub categories. I will list them all
  • Tier 4 (Child) student
  • Tier 4 (Child)(Sponsored)
  • Tier 4 (General) Dependant Child
  • Tier 4 (General) Dependant Partner
  • Tier 4 (General) Student
  • Tier 4 (General)(Sponsored) Student
  • Tier 4 S(scholarship)Student
Let me give a brief explanation. The first two relate to students under 18.

A Dependant Child would be if the student has a child and that child is applying for a visa as well.

A Dependant Partner would be if the student has a partner (such as a wife or husband) and that spouse is applying for a visa.

A sponsored Student applies only if the student is going to be funded by an "official financial sponsor" which includes scholarships or bursary from the university, the UK Government, the Chinese government, the British Council, or any international organisation or international company.

A Scholarship student is where the student holds a Cheving Scholarship or Fellowship, A British Marshal Scholarship, A Fulbright Scholarship or a Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship plan. If you are receiving a scholarship from The Institute of Education you would NOT choose this option but the Tier 4 General Student.


Now you can return to the Government website, login and start answering the questions. Before we go further a couple of things to remember please. The online form selects and hides questions based on the answers you provide on the customisation screen. Any question with a * next to it is required information and you will not be able to complete the form without answering these questions. If you do not use the system for 30 minutes you will be automatically logged out and your information will not be saved. There are 5 sections of the form which you are required to complete. If you have to leave your computer, or you cannot answer a question, you can save your form at any time, log out for security reasons and come back later to complete it. We recommend that you begin completing the application form as soon as possible.

Here is the process. Long into the account with your log-in details.


  • Click on "Apply For Myself" at the bottom of the screen shown above to start your visa application/
  • Read the information and click on continue.

You will see the next screen of which the first part is Applicant Details. Some of the fields are pre populated because the details have been taken from the time you registered with the service.


  • Your name must match your passport
  • Do put a secondary contact number if possible
  • Give your intended travel date and allow up to one month before the course starts if you intend to arrive ahead of the course commencement date.
  • Enter your location, which I presume will be China

The next screen continues from the last


  • You have to select the visa issuing office. Below you see a list of 3 non MFA choices, normally you should select one of these depending on the application centre you will visit.
    • Select "Beijing" if you are intending to visit the application centre at Beijing, Chengdu, Chongqing, Jinan, Wuhan, Shenyang
    • Select Guangzhou is you are intending to visit the application centre at Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Fuzhou,
    • Select Shanghai is your visa application centre is at Shanghai, Nanjing, Hangzhou
    A list of the Visa Application Centres and their addresses are shown here.

  • Give China as your country of Nationality
  • There is a note about visa type and sub type which we have covered in Step 3. So just click "Create Application" and the screen will expand with the visa section as now shown below


  • Select "Study" from the list of alternative Reasons for Visit
  • Select "PBS Tier 4 Student"
  • Finally, select Tier 4 (General) Student unless one of the others was pre-determined in our Step 3 above.
  • Once again click "create Application"


You will see the following summary status screen


Click on Go to Application on the right hand side of the page, and fill in all required 5 principal sections, namely:
  1. Passport and Travel Information:
  2. Personal Details and Travel History.
  3. Family Details.
  4. Medical Treatment: this only applies to those who have had in-patient treatment in a hospital while you were in the UK on a short term visa. If you are not sure, please contact the ISS@ioe.ac.uk for advice.
  5. Tier 4 Student: the information you need to complete this section will be on your CAS Statement provided by the IOE. The name and address of your Tier 4 sponsor is exactly as given on your CAS statement.
  6. Additional Information

We will now examine each of these six sections in detail.


You need to complete the fields in the following image. I think most of the fields are self explanatory but some guidance will follow. We have shown the Chinese notes in the image below which we hope helps. Each of the 6 black sections turn Green when they are fully completed. If a section turns Orange it means you have tried to submit the application when a section highlighted is incomplete.


The first section of the online application form requires you to provide your current passport information and personal details as shown in your passport. If you currently hold another nationality or have previously held another nationality you must say YES and provide the relevant details requested. I When applying for Tier 4 you must be applying from the country which issued your passport or the country in which you are ordinarily resident.

If you do not have an address in the UK then enter the main University campus address.

In response to "How Long do you intend to stay in the UK?" you should enter the duration of the course plus say 1 month if you are arriving before the course commencement date.

Click on "next section" to continue.


Personal Details

The third question under Travel history refers only to applications to the Home Office from within the UK.

If you answer YES to any of these questions you will be given an opportunity to provide more details.

In reference to the question "Have you ever voluntarily elected to depart the UK?", this question refers not to holidays during courses, but rather to leaving the UK after say a visa extension refusal or unsuccessful appeal.

Click Next Section to continue


Family Details

Only Tier 4 (General) Student applicants in specific circumstances may bring dependents with them to the UK.

You can bring dependents with you if you are a new student who is:-

1. studying on a course at NQF Level 7 or above (i.e. Masters or PhD) and as long as the course lasts at least 12 calendar months OR
2. Government-sponsored and your course is more than 6 months long.

Dependent Children are those under the age of 18.

Click Next Section to continue.


In the image that follows, you will only see the first question unless you answer "yes".

Medical Treatment

Click Next Section to continue.


Tier 4 Student

Most of the information for this section is obtained from the CAS. By Sponsor it means education sponsor, i.e. the University that issued you with the CAS. If you are unsure of Course end dates, ask us or better still ask the University student support group. For PhD students it is common to use the thesis submission deadline as their planned course end date.

When completing address for the main site of study do check the campus where you will be primarily based, since Universities commonly have multiple sites.

In reference to meeting the English language requirements pre sessional students should most likely select "English Language Test" and provide details of the English language test used as evidence. Whereas, new degree level students and continuing students must select the option"Your sponsor is a Higher Education Institution...."

Certain courses require you to apply for an ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) certificate. If applicable, this would be a condition of your offer.


NB: If this question does not appear, yet ATAS is required for your course, you should mention the details of your ATAS certificate in the ‘Additional Information’ section at the end of the application form and include the ATAS certificate with your visa application. In all cases you must present your ATAS certificate when attending the visa application centre.

On the maintenance section shown above is the basis set of questions but they expand as you complete certain boxes. Therefore we show below a more complete set of questions that are likely relevant.


You need to enter the 1st year course fees only and not the total course fees.

On the 2nd question about paid course fees, you should answer no unless your course fees have been paid in part or full in which case select "Yes - Paid to the UK Education provider"
If you do answer no then you will receive the following additional question:


You have to answer yes or your application will most likely be refused.

You will note the question "Do you have an established presence in the UK?". Only existing students with a valid Tier 4 visa already and seeking an extensions will answer 'yes'. The majority of students will be entering 'no'.

When you answer 'no' the following question changes to:-

initial app

The next question is important to get right. There is a typographic error in the question. It should read "How much funding GBP(£) per month do you have to cover your maintenance charges?". Its a strange question because it wants the monthly figure, yet for courses over 9 months the guidance notes state amounts in total and not monthly. So for example and Inner London study course would be £11,385 and you divide this by 9 months to get the monthly amount of £1,265. For outer London the monthly amount to be entered is currently £1,015.

Another confusing term is "sponsor". There are three types of sponsors and you need to understand the differences. The first sponsor is an "Educational Sponsor", the second possible sponsor is a "Financial Sponsor" and the last is a "Government sponsor". Do not mix these three up. Lets me clear. The Education Sponsor is the University that issued you with the CAS. A Financial Sponsor is an Educational institution, or international Company. A Government Sponsor is a UK Government or overseas Government that provides sponsorship.

If you are receiving a scholarship then the University is both an Education Sponsor and a Financial Sponsor. You parents, family members and friends are not considered an official Financial Sponsor for the purposes of this application even if they are providing financial support.

So lets look at the questions that this refers to.

"Have any of your accommodation fees been paid to your sponsor". This refers to your Educational Sponsor. So if you are an undergraduate staying in halls of residence, then have you paid any accommodation fees to the University?. If not then answer "no". If you have paid all your fees and have an official receipt, then answer "yes".

If you do answer yes, then you can deduct a maximum amount of £1,265 from your required maintenance amount. The only exception is where you have a full scholarship covering more than £1,265 per month for living costs.

The next question concerns Financial Sponsor. It asks "Do you receive support from a financial sponsor that meets.....". If you answer "yes" then on the question that begins "How much in GBP(£) is the official financial sponsor or Government sponsor paying towards your expenses?" you need to provide the total amount that such sponsor is covering for both course fees and living expenses. The next two questions want the split of the amount as between Course Fees and Maintenance Fees.

You need to be careful with the next question also. "Do you have any remaining fees and maintenance still due for payment?". You may be tempted to say "no" because you paid the tuition fees already but you cannot have pre paid living expenses even if you have the money. So all self funding students should answer "Yes". At the next question on Tuition fees you can enter "£0" if indeed the tuition fees are paid. Maintenance fees we have already discussed above and it would be different again if you have an established presence. I expect the majority will enter £11,385 if studying in London and £9,135 if in outer London.

Final two questions in this sub-section are about the proof of funding. When it asks "Do you have money in your own name?" it is not asking if you have a Bank of China account with 2CNY. It is asking whether the funds necessary to pay tuition and maintenance costs are in your name or that of a parent or legal guardian. If you friends, relatives etc are providing finance it is of no consequence here. The money has to be either in your name or that of your parent or legal guardian. You will also have to indicate the evidence you will provide. For example, original bank statements, proof of your relationship to parent or guardian. e.g Birth certificate.

The next sub section is very easy. This is a points based Tier 4 application. You need to get 40 points or you loose. So claim 30 points in the Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies, on the basis that you have sufficient funds to cover remaining course fees, and enter 10 points in the Maintenance and 40 points in the total box.

Click "Next Section" to continue.



This additional information box is your opportunity to provide any other relevant information.

Once you have completed do not rush to confirm application. Instead save the form and review it a 2nd time. When you are happy with it. Contact us and we will review it also. After all that is what we are here for. Once we are all happy we will advise you to click the Confirm Application button. You will again have the opportunity to check that all the information is accurate. If everything is good, you will be able to submit the form online by clicking the Submit Application button, book your appointment and pay the application fee. If the form's mandatory fields have not been completed you will told which section and the section will be orange as shown below.

initial app

After the application is submitted your should print off copies and take it with all your evidence as indicated in Step 2 above, to the visa centre for which you made a booking. What follows is a list of all Chinese visa application centres. You may be asked to attend a credibility Interview see below.

Hopefully your visa application should be successful but if it fails please scan the Refusal Notice and send it to us.


Please note that whilst the following are application centres, only Beijing, Guangzhou and Shanghai are cities of actual visa issuing offices. So submission at our centres may increase the time to process and allowance should be made accordingly.


Address: Beijing Inn, A901-919, A Zone, 9th Floor, Building A, Second group, No 5 Dongshuijing Alley, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100010 China   Opening hours: 07:30 to 14:30


Address: Room 302, No.171 of Zhongbei Road,Wuchang District, Wuhan, Hubei province 430071 China   Opening hours 08:00 to 15:00


Address: Room 2#&3#, Floor 10, No.9 (Rich Gate Building No.5), Tuanjie Road, Shenhe District, Shenyang, Liaoning province 110013 China   Opening hours: 08:00 to 15:00


Address: 18th Floor, Bank of China Tower, No. 22 Luoyuan Avenue, Lixia District, Jinan, Shandong, China 250012   Opening hours 08:00 to 15:00


Address: 33-B, HNA-Poly International Center, 235 Minsheng Road, Yuzhong District, Chongqing 400010 China   Opening hours 08:00 to 15:00


Address: Unit 1, 4th Floor, Tower 1, Raffles City, 3#, 4th Section South Renming Road, Wuhou District, Chengdu 610042 China   Opening hours: 08:00 to 15:00


Address: 3/F, Guangdong Development Bank Tower, 555, Xujiahui Road , Huangpu District, Shanghai 200023 China   Opening hours: 08:00 to 15:00


Address: Room 1501-D, Deep-blue Plaza, 203#, Zhaohui Road, Xiacheng District, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, P. R. China, 310014   Opening hours : 08:00 to 15:00


Address Room 2304, Building B, Wanda Plaza, No.106 Middle Jiangdong Road, Jianye District, Nanjing, Jiangsu Province 210017 China.   Opening hours : 08:00 to 15:00


Address: Room 215, Cheng Jian Mansion No 189 Tiyu Rd. (West) Tian He District, Guangzhou City 510620   Opening hours: 08:00 to 15:00


Address: Room 25F-11, West Zone, North Gate, GCIG Building, Fuhua 1 Road, Futian District, Shenzhen 518048 Guangdong Province China   Opening hours 08:00 to 15:00


Address: Floor 20, Royal Park Tower, Zhengda Plaza, #18 Middle Wuyi Road, Gulou District, Fuzhou City, 350001   Opening hours: 08:00 to 15:00


Home Office Credibility Interviews for Tier 4 visa

  • The Home Office have introduced credibility interviews into the Tier 4 visa application process.

  • There are two types of credibility interview. The first type will take place at the same time as your biometrics are taken at the designated agency. This initial interview will only take around five minutes and will be via video link with the Home Office in the UK. The purpose of the interview is to check your credibility as a genuine student and the focus of this interview will be your reasons for choosing the UK, and the University for which you have a CAS. You maybe asked about your programme of study as well as questions on the content of your course. The Home Office will record the interview and send a summary to the Entry Clearance Officer who will decide if a second more detailed interview is needed.

  • The Home Office expects most applicants to be able to prove they are genuine at the first stage and that this will in fact speed up the decision process on applications because fewer documentation checks will be required.

  • You will be asked questions about why you chose the UK, the selected University and your programme, also how this fits into your career aspirations

Typical questions may include:

Q: Why did you choose the selected University?

Answer preparation: Think about why you chose the UK rather than China or other English-speaking countries and which other students of Chinese nationality choose to study in. You may find it useful to refer to information about your selected University (see the Links tab) Think about what attracted you to study at your selected University?

Q: Why did you choose your course programme?

Answer preparation: There may be many programmes covering the same subject area as the one you plan to study. What is it specifically about the programme you have chosen which you prefer? You may find it useful to look at your programme of study again on the University website.

Q: How do your studies fit into your career plans?

Answer preparation: Think about what your plans are after you graduate - how will the knowledge and skills you gain from your programme of study help you with the type of work you hope to do. Does your course lead to any professional exemptions or qualifications and are these recognised in your country? Do you know what others graduating from the course you will be following went on to do? If the course you plan to study is at a similar academic level to previous studies be prepared to explain how it represents progression and whether it has a vocational focus?

Q: If the costs of pursuing your course of study are higher in the UK than in your home country, why have you decided to incur the extra costs involved with studying in the UK?

Answer preparation: Think about the advantages that a degree from the UK might give you and why you and/or your family are prepared to make this investment. Have you made a realistic assessment of all the costs involved and how you plan to pay for them. You should note that these cost include accommodation and costs of living.

Q: You have previously studied in the UK - why have you chosen to return?

Answer preparation: Think about how the new programme relates to previous studies and how it might build on your previous learning.

Q: You have had a long break in your studies, why are you returning to study now?

Answer preparation: Think about how you explain your decision in the context of your long-term career plans.

Q: Do you plan to work in the UK?

Answer preparation: You cannot rely on funds from working to pay your course fees and living costs so you need to be aware of this. The main purpose for being in the UK is your studies so, if you do hope to work, think about how this would enhance your academic studies. You also need to demonstrate an understanding of the hours you are allowed to work (maximum of 20 hours per week) and typical rates of pay.

Q: How will you fund your studies? (you should not be asked this unless you are called back for a second interview)

Answer preparation: The purpose of this question is to check that your funds are genuinely available to you for your studies. As part of your application you will have submitted proof of your finances - ensure that you are very clear about the source and availability of these funds, also how you plan to pay for subsequent years fees if your programme is more than a year in duration. If you have official financial sponsorship make sure you are aware of the amounts and exactly what is covered. If you have a loan, how will you afford to pay this back? How much will your accommodation cost and are you clear about the cost of living in the UK?

The interviewer will also be checking your ability to converse well in English, if there is any issue with hearing them clearly eg via the video link, you must ensure that you raise this so that they are aware that it is a technical issue not one of comprehension.


As to point 9 above Chinese students will first need to obtain a medical certificate to show they are clear from Tuberculosis and can attend one these centres:-


Beijing International SOS Clinic Beijing International SOS Clinic of Suite 105, Wing 1, Kunsha Building, No. 16 Xinyuanli, Chaoyang DistrictBeijing, China 100027 Tel: (010) 6462 0303 Ext 3 Email: bertus.pretoriu@internationalsos.com
Beijing New World Eaton Medical Centre of Level 5, Beijing New World Shopping Mall, No.3 Chong Wen Men Wai Street, Dong Cheng District, Tel: 010-67085077 and 010-67085075 Email: ukime@eatonclinic.com/ davidleung@eatonclinic.com
Hong Kong International Medical Clinic, Beijing of 8F, Office Tower SwissÔtel-Hong Kong Macau Center, 2 Chao Yang Men Bei Da Jie, Beijing, China 100027 Tel: 86 1065539752, 86 1065532288 ext 2345, 2346 or 2347 Email: pe@hkclinic.com luzhaolin@hkclinic.com/ Luzhaolin39@163.com/ xulimei_hk@aliyun.com


Reliant Medical Services Ltd Operating at Chengdu IME Centre Chengdu Western Hospital 6th Floor No 2, 3rd Section of Erhuan Road Chengdu, Sichuan, PRC, PostCode: 610036


Healthmate International Clinic, 4/F, Health Check-up Centre, Xinqiao Hospital of 3rd Military Medical University, Xinqiao Zhengjie, Shapingba District, Chongqing City, 400037 Tel: 023-61255215, 61971713 Email: cqclinic123@126.com/ drrogeryou@gmail.com


Immigration Medical Centre-Fujian Provincial Hospital of 6/F, No. 134 Dong Street, Fuzhou, Fujian 350001, Tel: 0591-88216247 / 88216249 (For appointment) 0591-88216244 (Office) Email: stride_2002@hotmail.com/ lilifuzhou@gmail.com


New Omega Medical Center of 9/F, Tower A, Center Plaza, East Railway Station, Linhexi Lu, Tianhe District, Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province, 510620 Tel: 020-28861900,28861999,28861950 Email: guangzhou.ime@gmail.com/ drrogeryou@gmail.com Guangzhou IME Centre - Guangzhou Zhujiang Hospital of 3/F., Yiqiao Building, Guangzhou Zhujiang Hospital No. 253 Gongye Street, Guangzhou, Guangdong, PRC Post Code: 510280 Tel: (86-20) 8434 3711 Email: guangzhou.ime@gmail.com/ kenlam@hccorp.com.hk Guangdong International Travel Healthcare Center (GDITHC) of No.59, Hua li Road 6th Floor, Eastern Tower of the Poly Building, Zhujiang New City, Guangzhou, Guangdong, 510623 Tel: 86-20-38288738 Email: zjbjuk@163.com/ zmchinese@yeah.net


Zhejiang Hospital No 12 Lingyin Road Hangzhou, Zhejiang China 31003 Email: info@prioritymedi.com Tel: +86 (0571) 8602-8780/8602-8846


Harbin IME Centre - Heilongjiang International Travel Healthcare Centre of 3/F., No.9 Ganshui Road, Nangang District, Harbin, Heilongjiang, PRC Post Code: 150001 Tel: (86-451) 8233 5862 Email: harbin.ime@gmail.com/ manager@hccorp.com.hk


Jinan IME Centre - The Second Hospital of Shandong University of 4/F., Health Management Centre, 247 Bei Yuan Street, Jinan, Shandong, PRC Post Code: 250033 Tel: (86-531) 5569 2289 Email: jinan.ime.centre@gmail.com/ manager@hccorp.com.hk


1st Floor, Zuolinfengdu Garden, No.6 Mochouhu East Road Tel: 025-8651-8600 Email: Nanjing@globaldoctor.com.au/ jiyan@globaldoctor.com.au Nanjing International SOS Clinic of 1st Floor, Grand Metropark Hotel Nanjing, 319 East Zhongshan Road, Nanjing, China 210016 Tel: (025) 8480 2842 Email: tania.stegmann@internationalsos.com


No.15 Jinbang Road, Changning District, Shanghai Tel: 021-62683085 Email: shanghaiithc@163.com/ xian.zhou.gao@gmail.com zhouxian@shciq.gov.cn Zhabei District Central Hospital of 6th Floor, Fu Zhen Building, No.619 Zhonghua Xin Road Zhabei, Shanghai, 200070 Tel: (021) 3635-6610 Email: info@prioritymedi.com ParkwayHealth Shanghai Centre of Room 315, 1376 Nanjing West Road, Shanghai,200040 Tel: 021 6279 8129 Email: healthcheck@parkwayhealth.cn/ yongpeng.swee@parkway.sg/ susan.wang@parkwayhealth.cn/ betty.xie@parkwayhealth.cn Shanghai Eaton Medical Centre of Room 304 - 309, Evergo Tower, No.1325 Huai Hai Road Central, Xu Hui District, Shanghai, China Tel: 021-64730055 Email: sheaton@eatonclinic.com/ Davidleung@eatonclinic.com


No.5 Guangrong Street, Heping District, Shenyang, Liaoning, PRC Post Code: 110003 Tel: (86-24) 2326 0528 Email: shenyang.ime@gmail.com/ kenlam@hccorp.com.hk


Shenzhen International Travel Health Care Center of LuoHu Examination Dept.1159 Heping Road, 2nd Floor Guangdong, 518010 Tel: (0755) 2535-8080 Email: info@prioritymedi.com/ info@prioritymedi.com


Immigration Medical Centre-Wuhan of No. 28 Baofeng Road, Wuhan, Hubei 430030, China Tel: 027-83331973/83331993 Email: wuhanrdc@126.com/ wuhanrdc@126.com Wuhan No . 1 Hospital 1st Floor No. 215, Zhongshan Avenue Hubei, 430022 Tel: (027)8581-1605 Email: info@prioritymedi.com/ info@prioritymedi.com IME Center – Wuhan No.457 Luoshi South Road Hongshan District Wuhan Hubei China 430070 Email: info@prioritymedi.com Tel: +86 (027) 8581-1605


Healthmate International Clinic of Xi'an1/F, Tower B, Changan Hospital, 17 Wenjing Lu, Weiyang District, Xi'an City, Shaanxi Province 710016 Tel: 020-28861900, 28861999, 28861950 Email: office@newomegamedical.com/ xianclinic@126.com and drrogeryou@gmail.com

When you are ready you should complete an application at https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa

Differential Agreements do not apply to China.

Please note you cannot use the beta service (https://visasandimmigration.ipt.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying-in-china) for your Tier 4 visa, but if you are attending Open Days or visiting England and just need a tourist visa, then the beta service is applicable.

UK University Application Services.... Helping Chinese students gain placement


Whatever point you are in your education, whether still in Senior High School or already a Bachelor or Masters Degree graduate, our impartial professional consultancy will enable you to make that right choice. An exploratory discussion about our services can be mutually arranged in English or Chinese and obviously is without cost. Please contact us as shown below or see our Contact us  page for enquiry and contact forms.

Beechwood House
36 Tretawn Gardens
London NW7 4NR

e-mail: info@ukuas.co.uk
QQ : 2621864178
Sina Weibo:@UKUAS 

Copyright Notice © UKUAS 2000-2017. All rights reserved